USA TODAY BREAKING NEWS | CITIZEN JOURNALISM
USA TODAY delivers current local and national news, sports, entertainment, finance, technology, and more through award-winning journalism, photos, videos and VR.
USA TODAY BREAKING NEWS | CITIZEN JOURNALISM
GANNETT Syndication Service USATODAY - Nation Top Stories
- Actor Jussie Smollett arrives at court for trialby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 8:40 pm
Actor Jussie Smollett arrives at court as jury selection take place in his upcoming trial. He's accused of lying to police about being attacked in January 2019. (Nov. 29)
- Football field-sized asteroid to approach Earth on Monday night, one of several in the coming weeksby USA TODAY on November 29, 2021 at 8:33 pm
The asteroid 1994 WR12, which is 30 feet bigger than a football field, will be 3.8 million miles away from Earth on Monday night.
- WH: Travel restrictions meant to protect not punishby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 8:31 pm
The White House is defending its decision to restrict travel from South Africa and seven other African nations, insisting the decision was not meant to punish those countries but protect Americans from the new omicron coronavirus variant. (Nov. 29)
- Bodies hanging from Mexico overpasses: Powerful drug cartels are back to their old tacticsby Louisville Courier Journal on November 29, 2021 at 7:28 pm
An unprecedented wave of violence has overtaken the Mexico state of Zacatecas, where four drug cartels are fighting to control territory.
- Global risk of omicron variant is 'very high;' Biden urges vaccinations, masks: Latest COVID-19 updatesby USA TODAY on November 29, 2021 at 7:18 pm
Meanwhile, Biden on Monday urged Americans to get vaccinated, obtain a booster shot, and wear masks in public places.
- Omicron, the newest coronavirus variant: How to pronounce it, how it got its Greek name, and what it meansby USA TODAY on November 29, 2021 at 7:17 pm
Named after the Greek letter, the omicron variant is the 13th of the SARS-CoV-2 variants to receive a designation by the World Health Organization.
- Wrong number sparks 20-year friendship between Rhode Island man and Florida womanby The Providence Journal on November 29, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Over 20 years ago, Mike Moffitt started getting calls from a Florida woman trying to reach her daughter. The finally met in person this Thanksgiving.
- Miami grows as global tourism destinationby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 7:06 pm
Cooped-up tourists eager for a taste of Florida's sandy beaches, swaying palm trees and warmer climates are visiting the Sunshine State in droves, topping pre-pandemic levels in recent months. (Nov. 29)
- Biden: New variant cause for concern, 'not panic'by AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 6:16 pm
President Joe Biden calls the new COVID-19 variant omicron a cause for concern but "not a cause for panic" and said he was not considering any widespread U.S. lockdown. He urged Americans anew to get fully vaccinated, including booster shots. (Nov. 29)
- Analysis: Trial to focus on Maxwell, not Epsteinby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 5:56 pm
A jury has been selected in the trial of Ghislaine Maxwell, two years after Jeffrey Epstein's suicide. Sarah Klein, a legal analyst says the trial will not focus on Epstein's alleged crimes, but Maxwell's. (Nov 29)
- Jury picked for Ghislaine Maxwell's sex trafficking trialby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 5:43 pm
Two years after Jeffrey Epstein's suicide behind bars, a jury has been picked in New York City for Ghislaine Maxwell's trial. She's accused of recruiting young girls for the late financier to abuse. (Nov. 29)
- Second gentleman kicks off Hanukkah in attendance of the National menorah lightingby USA TODAY on November 29, 2021 at 5:36 pm
Doug Emhoff is the first Jewish spouse of a U.S. president or vice president.
- Former Minnesota officer Kim Potter goes on trial for Daunte Wright shooting with 'wrong gun' defenseby USA TODAY on November 29, 2021 at 5:33 pm
Jury selection is set to begin Tuesday in the manslaughter trial of ex-Minnesota police officer Kim Potter, who fatally shot Daunte Wright in April.
- Some nations restrict travel amid virus variantby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Nations around the world sought to keep the new omicron variant at bay with travel bans and further restrictions, even as it remains unclear what it means for the COVID-19 pandemic. (Nov. 29)
- As Bradford pears remain a nuisance in South Carolina, methods of attack range from bounties to bansby Anderson Independent Mail on November 29, 2021 at 4:58 pm
The troublesome tree is being killed with fire, it will be banned and there are bounties. Is it enough to stop the tree's wild spread?
- ShowBiz Minute: Abloh, McConaughey, BTSby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 4:32 pm
Tributes paid to fashion designer Virgil Abloh, who has died of cancer at 41; Matthew McConaughey won't run for Texas governor in 2022; BTS make an emotional return to live shows (Nov. 29)
- The day in picturesby USA TODAY on November 29, 2021 at 4:00 pm
A look at the day's best photographs from around the world.
- Oakland police increase reward for tips leading to arrest in security guard's slayingby USA TODAY on November 29, 2021 at 2:59 pm
Kevin Nishita died of his injuries on Saturday, three days after being shot while on assignment in Oakland protecting a Bay Area TV crew.
- 'A sad scene:' Stray bullet pierces window, kills man eating Thanksgiving meal with familyby USA TODAY on November 29, 2021 at 2:24 pm
A neighbor described it as "a sad scene" after a man was killed inside his own home during Thanksgiving from a stray gunshot in Norristown, Pa.
- Opening arguments begin in Ghislaine Maxwell trial, Cyber Monday is here: 5 Things podcastby USA TODAY on November 29, 2021 at 1:28 pm
Ghislaine Maxwell is accused of helping Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse girls, and jury selection begins for Jussie Smollett: 5 Things podcast
- Joyful reunions as Malaysia-Singapore border opensby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 12:26 pm
Malaysians working in Singapore held joyful reunions with their loved ones after returning to their homeland on Monday following the partial reopening of a land border that has been shuttered for nearly two years due to the pandemic. Buses ferried fully vaccinated passengers across the Causeway Bridge that connects the island of Singapore with the Malaysian peninsula, with strict measures in place including pre-departure and on-arrival COVID-19 tests.
- BTS 'emotional beyond words' over US showsby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Speaking to the press in Iglewood, K-pop megastars BTS say that seeing stadiums filled with fans again makes them very emotional. (Nov. 29)
- Kishida vows to step up Japan defense amid threatsby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 12:03 pm
Japan's Prime Minister Fumio Kishida on Saturday renewed his pledge to consider "all options," including acquiring enemy base strike capability, and vowed to create a stronger Self-Defense Force to protect the country during growing threats from China and North Korea. (Nov. 29)
- AP Top Stories November 29 Aby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 12:03 pm
Here's the latest for Monday November 29th: COVID-19 omicron variant found in more countries; Flooding in Washington state; Major abortion rights case goes to Supreme Court; Jewish festival of Hannukah begins.
- On This Day: 29 November 2005by AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 12:01 pm
Actor Jake Gyllenhaal and director Ang Lee premiered the award-winning "Brokeback Mountain" in Hollywood. (Nov. 29)
- Menorah lightings mark start of Hannukahby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 11:51 am
The National Hannukah Menorah was lit outside the White House on Sunday night, and a 36-foot tall Menorah was lit in New York as Jews around the world celebrated the first night of Hannukah. (Nov. 29)
- Interfaith love a risk as India nationalism surgesby AP Domestic on November 29, 2021 at 6:16 am
Arbaz Mullah's love story began, as romances often do, when he first laid eyes on the woman of his dreams, Shweta Kumbhar. The romance so angered relatives of Kumbhar, a Hindu, that they allegedly hired members of a hardline Hindu nationalist group to kill the 24-year-old Mullah, who was Muslim. (Nov. 29)
- How space tech can help the world fight the pandemicby USA TODAY on November 29, 2021 at 5:27 am
Could technology developed for space help us battle the pandemic? The answer is yes, according to an article published in Nature Medicine.
- 5-year-old fatally shot by Minnesota teen making social media video on Thanksgiving, police sayby USA TODAY on November 29, 2021 at 12:49 am
A 5-year-old boy was fatally shot in Minnesota on Thanksgiving after a teen accidentally fired a gun while making a social media video, police said.
- Omicron cases found in Canada, UK; experts warn new variant could be in US undetected: Latest COVID updatesby USA TODAY on November 28, 2021 at 11:14 pm
Fears over the omicron COVID-19 variant have rapidly spread across the globe, sending stocks tumbling and prompting travel restrictions.
USA TODAY BREAKING NEWS | CITIZEN JOURNALISM